On 27 February 2021, the Distinguished Talent visa was renamed the Global Talent visa. It will now cover both onshore and offshore applicants.
This visa is for people who have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in an eligible field.
You may be invited to apply for this visa by the Department of Home Affairs but this is not necessary. If you are invited then your application will be streamlined with the visa processing and the entire process can be extremely quick from application to visa grant.
The main requirements for this visa are:
- Generally be from 18-54 years of age. However, as long as you can demonstrate exceptional benefit you will be able to apply above 55 and under 18 years of age.
- Be nominated by an Australian citizen, permanent resident or Australian organisation with national reputation in the same field as you. They will need to explain how you are a talent in that field.
- Demonstrate that you are internationally recognised in:
- A profession; or
- A sport; or
- The arts; or
- Academia and research
- Demonstrate exceptional and outstanding achievements and prominence in your field for at least 2 years
- Have the ability to establish yourself in Australia including finding work
- Demonstrate that you would be an asset to the Australian community by showing you would benefit the Australian community economically, socially, culturally or raise Australia’s standing in that area internationally
Global Talent Independent Program
For 2020-2021, the Australian Government has allocated 15,000 places under this program where they will streamline the Global Talent visa pathway for highly skilled professionals in ten future-focused sectors.
The 10 target sectors are:
- Agri-food and AgTech
- Health Industries
- Defence, Advanced Manufacturing and Space
- Circular Economy
- Infrastructure and Tourism
- Financial Services and FinTech
To obtain a place in the global independent program, you must demonstrate:
- Prominence in their field of expertise (which must be one of the target sectors) generally requirement them to hold senior roles, patents, professional awards, international publications and memberships.
- Demonstrate an internationally recognised history of achievements
- Provide evidence that they would be an asset to Australia
- Either currently being paid or demonstrate ability to attract a salary at or above the fair work high income threshold of AUD 153,600.
- Have a nominator with national reputation in the same field
This program is also available for PhD graduates who can demonstrate exceptional talent and international recognition in the target sector.
Once you are invited, this invitation is valid for 12 months and you can lodge your visa application anytime during this time.
If you are unsure whether you qualify, you should book in a consultation with us to discover more.